Monday, December 1, 2014

Snake Avoidance: Description and Syllabus

Dogs instinctively react to sight, sound, and smell, but can also be conditioned or trained to react in a specific manner in specific situations.  Training a dog to respond to the sight, sound, and smell of snakes is not a difficult process. What's more, snakes are not the only animals that a dog can learn to avoid.  We’ve worked with rattle snakes, poisonous toads, centipedes, scorpions, and black widow spiders.  If you can get the scent for an animal, you can train your dog what to do (move away) when encountering that scent by using the games in this class.
This class uses your dog’s intelligence, his fantastic nose, and his ability to navigate the environment via that nose.  Your dog will learn self-control when investigating new or interesting things, impulse control when movement catches his attention and kicks in the need to chase, the understanding of what to do when encountering a specific scent, sight, and/or sound, and how to alert any humans to the presence of a dangerous animal.
Syllabus:
Session 1 - Creating Self Control
  • It’s In Your Hand
  • Walk Away
  • What's in the Bowl?
  • What If It's On The Ground?
  • Can I Steal It?
  • I’ll Just Stay Right Here
Session 2 - It Stinks
  • What’s That Smell
  • Where's That Smell
  • Can I Tell You Something
  • Back Up, It's Dangerous
  • Look Away, Walk Away
  • Are You Sure That’s The Right Smell
 Session 3 - Move Away From That
  • Away
  • Frantically Running Away
  • Eeek! It's A Mouse
  • Flip The Fish
  • Go Over There
  • I'm Not Touching That
 Session 4 - Choosing Self Control
  • Go Around That
  • Go FAR Around That
  • Still Dog Moving Dog
  • I Can't Do That, My Head Is Exploding
  • Make Your Choice
  • Do You Really Know Sit?
Session 5 - Self Motivated Recall
  • Let Me Go
  • Did you Call?
  • What's More Important
  • Don't Move
  • Yes Ma'am 
Session 6 – Getting It Right The First Time

  • Yes Ma'am Revisted
  • I Am NOT Doing That
  • It's On The Porch !!
  • Drunkard’s Walk
  • Snake Alley

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are wonderful things!