Thursday, December 11, 2014

Snake Avoidance: Week 2 - Conflicts with Nosework and Tracking Skills

Lexi knows show me from the recreational search and rescue training she has done. Meaning she will locate the victim , she returns to me , she sits in front (her cue to tell me she has located) , I say show me and she takes off running to show me . SO in essence the recall -refind. I do have a video showing she knows this recall refind just to make sure we are on same page (no video added until later , I am work)
The cue to start the game is search

Lexi does recreational nose work with birch and has done it with the boxes like we have with the cat scent and I also hide it in a room. The difference here is she does not leave the scent , she must stay there until I come to her
The cue to start the game is go find

Lexi also plays fun scent games and this is finding food in piles of boxes.
The cue is the same as nosework but I read your comment on different cues -great point thank you

Anyhow here is where I need help - I think she will be confused using the show me cue out of context -so in fact it is not generalized . When I watched game 3 in teaching this recall -refind I am not sure how to do the last part where your helper held the scent and you and the other lady worked the dog.





Ok, then use Help instead of Show Me and no "search".

For the games I posted today, just send me video of games Lexi plays, but use the snake smell. I do want you to play What A Klutz however as snakes (And cats) have a tendency to appear like magic in strange places.


OH THAT LOOKS LIKE FUN !!

if I played the Lights Out game and a couple of the other games would the expectation be that she leave the scent to come tell me -? If yes how do I transition her not to staying on the scent ?


In the What A Klutz Game, Lost in the Night and  Lights Out, you want her to come back to you and alert. If you use different cues, it should solve the problem. My Brynda still tracks like crazy on the proper scents and stays with source until released, but will also play the "help" game with specific scents.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are wonderful things!