There are three major steps for the Hula Hoop Leave it. When you get to the hoop part, along with the treats you are going to start putting objects in the hoop to create the association that those objects are to be left alone also.
Step 1: Hand Zen (Levels); Floor Zen (Levels)
Step 2: Proofing; taking it on the road
This step is just changing the environment and the distraction levels while playing all the games in Step 1. For instance, if you started out sitting in your favorite chair, move to the couch, then to the kitchen, the bathroom and the bedroom. Eventually you will move outside.
Start putting the treats on a plate or in a bowl. Put the plate/bowl on the coffee table, an end table, the floor or the seat of a chair. Discover how much self-control your dog has.
Once you’ve moved outside and played the games in at least two spots, move to Step 3.
Step 3: Adding the Snake
There are three major steps for the Hula Hoop Leave it. When you get to the hoop part, along with the treats you are going to start putting objects in the hoop to create the association that those objects are to be left alone also.
Now we add the hula hoop.
- Put your dog in the house
- Put a hoop on the ground with treats on a plate in the middle of the hoop
- Bring your dog out on a leash
- Start walking toward the hoop
At 2 feet from the hoop tell your dog leave it. Most of my client dogs have at that point either done a sit or down and stared at the treats from that point. This is fine to start.
As soon as your dog responds to the cue “leave it”, run away from the hoop about 4 steps and then treat your dog and give her lots of praise
Repeat step 3 until your dog initiates the running away instead of the sit or down he was doing.
Add the “snake” to the plate. You can use a fake snake with snake scent or a real one with a muzzle or whatever you are training your dog to avoid. Repeat steps 4 – 7 until you are satisfied that your dog understands “leave it” with the smell of the snake, and hopefully sight and sound as well, as part of the equation.
Do steps 3 several times in your yard in 10 different places. Remember that 80% of all snake bites happen in the yard.
If you don't have your scent yet, use visual and if you have a small music player, record the sound of your animal and place that on one of the plates on a continuous loop.
Jennie and Lexi
here is the continuation of game 4 -I have placed the hoop on the ground and I started with the toy she loves -she did great but then she smelled the ball in my pocket . The tennis ball she loves even more , so I decided to use this as she was wanting it very much. However I did not put her away -she sees me place the ball and you will hear her wanting to get it . Why did we place the dog away -was it to simulate the "oh there it is !!" kind of effect.
Over all I was quite pleased , she responded each time . There is one time in the clip she moves off on her own without the cue leave it -I rewarded this as well . Is this Ok?
Near the end she responds to my excited praise by thinking she was being released to the ball -she turns and goes for it . The leash goes tight and I try an loosen it so she can make the correct decision -was this handled ok?
I think I am ready for the cat . I will await if you think I am before asking my questions (sorry more questions )
That was really very well done. And you did totally fine with both questions - rewarding her choice without being cued and for waiting for the correct decision even with a taut leash. I know it's hard balancing the need to teach self control, but also not letting them steal reinforcement.
On the set up, what I usually do when I'm by myself is leave the dog in the house, set up the hoop, then bring the dog out on the leash. But also, I deal with mostly untrained or barely trained dogs so I make sure that the set up is not a juggling act.
If you want to really up the ante on this one, take the leash off :)
On the set up, what I usually do when I'm by myself is leave the dog in the house, set up the hoop, then bring the dog out on the leash. But also, I deal with mostly untrained or barely trained dogs so I make sure that the set up is not a juggling act.
If you want to really up the ante on this one, take the leash off :)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments are wonderful things!