Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Snake Avoidance: Week 3: Day 2

Week 3:

Day 1:  Away; Away for Real
Day 2: Run Frantically Away
Day 3: Go Over There
Day 4: Eeek! It's A Mouse

Run Away


Jennie and Lexi

hi Jamie, here is today s game. I used a high value distraction -her ball to start the three steps in Run Away
I then tried with the cat - it is always nice to have a reality check - she reacted today when I opened the gate. After a short break , we tried again and worked through the three steps. Interesting to see is her level of intensity on me and the rewards is not as focused as it was on her ball . However it is improved because at one time she would never turn her back on the "trigger " to eat and definitely would not tug

I did not want to use 'ready' as that is our obedience cue for work-so i chose the 'leave it ' cue and her name .

Again sorry for darkness -these early evenings ...:( best to make computer screen large
Thanks ever so much for your help






I use "ready" to indicate that the trigger is coming up, then I'll just call the dog's name to get them to come back to me. So ready actually means "are you ready for this?" which is not a whole lot different then you using it to mean you're about to start working. This is in a way also "work". You could use "now" or "soon" or something like that. Personally I try really hard to make my cues make sense for me, I know it's just sounds to the dog :)

All in all though, that was great. I do like that she is learning to think and respond in the presence of her arch enemy. I also like that you're down to 17 feet after starting at what 60 in the barn?

Don't worry about that over threshold moment, they happen, extinction bursts and latent learning :)



Mary Ann and Deacon




So today we tried Week 3-1 "Away". I got a bit theatrical and we had fun. I wasn't sure on the second step whether we should run backwards, so I tried to pretend it was a real snake and I just turned to run. You can't see my snake because it blends in with the gray sand, but I had it and scent out there. I don't think Deacon was really all that tempted -- but I purchased a radio controlled rattlesnake, so I'm hoping when we get to those games it will tempt him more.






Kate and Badger

I am sure you will find the DVD interesting! It's exciting that dogs' abilities for mimicry are now being understood and explained better. And to be able to teach it as a "concept" and have it on cue - wow.

I'm pleased you are enthusiastic about the process - and I'll take every opportunity to include it in my snake avoidance training!



Here is our Week 3 Day 2 video - we are having difficulties when I introduce distractions - I guess I start with having a distraction that is a lower value than what I am offering, and build on it from there?





All in all, not bad on spinning away. You figured out to have higher value rewards on you :) And there is nothing wrong with him going for the distraction at first, he eventually will figure out that he gets you if he leaves it alone.

He is doing better at valuing you more then distractions now, much better then the first days video. So just keep doing what you're doing, he is getting it :) He is also clearly making decisions now, even if they aren't always right. I can see his decision points in the video. Now we hone those decisions to the ones we want. You already figured out how to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are wonderful things!