Thursday, December 18, 2014

Snake Avoidance: Week 3: Day 4

Week 3:

Day 1:  Away; Away for Real
Day 2: Run Frantically Away
Day 3: Go Over There
Day 4: Eeek! It's A Mouse

This is a great game and leads next week into Flip the Fish.
The point of this game is to teach your dog that there are "safe" places for prey. Your hand is the first safe place in this game. When the prey (food) is under your cupped hand, it's safe and your dog should just back off. If your hand is in play moving the "mouse" around, it's safe and your dog should back off.

When you flick it, it's fair game, unless it goes under or in something. In the early stages of the game the dog always gets the flicked pieces. Later, after you are sure your dog understands about the safe place, set up other safe spots - a partially overturned box, a cup on it's side, a dustpan - anything it's easy to flick the prey into.


Jennie and Lexi
Eeek! A Mouse

Lexi got very worried over my squeaks and squawks. I think she thought she was (a) in trouble or (b) there was something wrong with me . In the end i started making noises and just telling her to get them .
. I am interested in your thoughts -I did not like her being so concerned and when i tried the game again she stayed about 4 feet away... I do not like her avoiding me :(



Poor Lexi ! She was mostly doing well however. It wasn't til the end she got really worried.
Instead of the squeaky sounds, play your cat sounds :)

Poor girl-ok I will try , so just have them playing in the background while I play the game -correct

Yes, just playing in the background, but close to where you are messing with the "mice".


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are wonderful things!