Friday, November 7, 2014

Lily's Agility Journey - Week 6 - Threadle and Serpentines

Christine and Stella


Week 6 Extra Video

Mildred is at daycare today and what do you know, the sun decided to come out. So instead of wasting it, I decided to work the threadles and serpentines with my other dog, Stella. Watching the video, I realize, I bend over a lot when working with Stella.

Anyways, my form could use some work so bring on the critique/suggestions :)


<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Y-_yZmSOKr4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>




Hey there Christine!!!!!

OMG that is quite possibly the cutest thing I have ever seen!!! LOL

Ok oh the threadles, so you are practicing correct body language for Miss Mildred, you will want to turn INTO Stella...so you are showing her front cross body language. Not just dropping your arm down. This will be really important for Mildred who is much bigger than Stella :) So....send (this example I will use from your right side) and then turn INTO her so that your chest and left arm are showing that you are beginning your front cross, THEN as she comes in return to that right arm. You are getting it easy because little Stella is sooooo TEENIE! :)

Slow motion it, when Stella is coming towards you in between the jumps, she should see your chest, and in the video your chest is facing with the rest of your body...so face that chest to your dog. Does that make sense?

That is the only thing I would change!

OMG I want her...LOL! She is sooooooo cute!!!

OK....back to feedback :)

On your serps...slow motion the rep ending at 0:30...you can see your body zigs and she zigs right with you....you want to make sure you maintain your handling to keep any of that happening, the little dogs respond to pressure/pulling INSTANTLY....so that is a bit tougher for Stella that it would be for Mildred. SO tell yourself, I am painting a line....smoothly!

Your body language looks pretty darn good though!!!!! Feet are great, you are calling to side very nicely! Good rewarding!

MUCH BETTER supporting the line to that 2nd jump at rep 0:37!!!! Very nice Christine!!!!

0:42 and 0:46, just keep getting smoother!! NICE NICE NICE!!!!!

Threadles at 0:51----can you see that first send you try to do with Stella, your body wasn't supporting the send, so stella had NO intention of taking the jump and then YOU changed your feet!!! NICE JOB!!!!! YOU CORRECTED!!! LOVE IT! VERY GOOD JOB CHRISTINE!!! You are getting a great understanding of how your body language is working!

ON the last threadle.....you were turning your chest more!! Watch that in slow motion! Stella was responding well!!!!

On the last serp, you were late with calling in to side on the 2nd jump...so as she lands off jump 1, signal 2, and THEN call in, and then start showing the line to 3 earlier....

Those look pretty darn awesome!!!!!!


Christine and Mildred

So I used a cheap practice jump as my third jump instead of my winged jump. The practice jump is only 3 feet wide and Mildred did not like the look of it especially at the start of the session. We got a few knocked bars, a few run around the jump instead of taking it and a few refusals (edited most of those out). I think she is too much in handler focus/watching my hands since I have been using a lot of treats lately.

We worked on threadles, serpentines and the first course in the supplemental, which I handled in 2 slightly different ways. Mildred looks less than enthused while running the course and I feel like I am handling jump to jump rather than handling her path. As usual, my arms are flapping a bit.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1Ito7__BiDY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>



Hey there Christine!

Yes a foot less space is going to really make Mildred feel cramped! So I can totally understand how that would have been an issue for her! Just reward the heck out of one jump stuff on that jump until she is OK with it :)

Your threadles look SOOOOOOO awesome now!! You are turning in very nicely!!!! And yes I can see on the rep at 0:19 that she is not wanting to go into obstacle focus after the threadle. I would get that lotus ball back out....that is why everyone had to reward away and on the line for so long. To keep the handler focus from taking over, she needs to take the first jump, then get called in with a cookie, then send her over the next jump and throw the lotus ball foward...so she can get that obstacle focus back.

Rep at 0:30 watch her speed coming TO you versus going AWAY from you, that tells you that she needs more rewarding for the sends again. So don't fall back into just food out of your hand. I do the same thing and need to be reminded too ;-) As far as your body language...that is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!

Gorgeous at rep ending at 0:40!!! She is getting it, and she doesn't get demotivated by coming in, that is GREAT!!!! So tell yourself, I need to reward AWAY and out on those sends :)

WOWZA on the serps too!!!!!! Those are lovely!!!!!!!! Just lovely!!!!!!!! Great feet for your sends!!! I would also use the lotus ball on these too! I would throw it after she commits to jump 3!!! So drive her forward and away from you!

On the sequences, your body language is good, but she is for sure like...what??? So....first off, I want you to watch those sequences again, and you tell ME where she gets "sad face" so she slows up....Because those are the places you would be dropping your lotus ball before she gets sad the 2nd run...I would be rewarding her a LOT during these sequences so she doesn' t just "go through the motions" with you, but rather she is running WITH you...so you tell me, on those sequences, where you would reward Mildred. I want to see if we match up on this!!!!!!

Don't worry about the arms right now, I want you to focus on Mildred running HAPPY...that will make your job a TON easier!!!

Great job trying the sequences!!!!!! She just needs more lotus ball work! I love that you knew this!!!!




Q:  
I understand that we are to start with the three jumps close together but as we move them farther apart, what is the distance between jumps that we are striving for to replicate trial conditions?

A:
I would say 10 feet should cover just about most serps... and with the threadles....the smaller the gap the tougher...so if you really want to make it tough, less than 2 feet in between jumps….


 Colleen and Envy


Ok here we are with Envy again. Interesting "phenomenon" happened. I always work Flirt last. She drools, I'm allergic and have to wash my hands right away. I worked her first then Envy. I started bending over with Envy. I think I caught it early on. I did a few rears, serps and then threadles. She's on day 10ish of her heat also.

There are a couple of blips where I move from spot to spot where I couldn't get that piece of out the video. Maybe I'll have it down for next time

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/eCcUoX_aKW0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>



Hey there Colleen!

LOOK AT THOSE GORGEOUS REAR CROSSES!!!!!!!!!! THOSE ROCK!!!! Very nice body language!!!! AwESOME!!!!

I am not sure what you mean by bending over? And how that ties into Flirt drooling?? Sorry if I am dense....LOL I didn't see you bend over at all?? Confused!

The serps are GORGEOUS!!!! Your timing is awesome! Body language is great!!!! The only thing I want you to change is get CLOSER to those jumps. You are giving her a ton of room and Envy doesn't need that much. Try to go in about a foot, it will make the serps smoother :)

Threadles: Rep at 0:38, before Envy takes off for that first jump, you have to start your turn. And try to do two in a row if you can., that should help you get into a flow with them!

Much better timing at 0:50!!! Again, two another threadle after the first one :)

You are just a tad bit late with your pull throughs on the next reps....but then you did a LOVELY job at 1:23!!!!! Very nice! Watch that in slow motion!!!! and AGAIN at 1:31!!! Also try to get a bit closer to your jumps so that you are making the lines to the jumps tighter :)

VERY NICE JOB COLLEEN!!!! VERY SMOOTH!!!!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are wonderful things!