Wednesday, September 3, 2014

K9 Conditioning 8 Tugging Mechanics

Q&A
by Dr Debbie Gross
K9 Conditioning





Q:
Seeing Rachel tugging with Bee reminded me to ask about what style of tugging, length of game etc. you would recommend. Are there particular things you would recommend, or caution against - and in terms of time - how long is too long.


A:
Great question Barb - I always grit my teeth a little bit when I see dogs aggressively tugging. For any dog with a neck problem or suspected neck problem - I take the tug away immediately.

I prefer dogs' to tug with their neck in a neutral position - not completely extended and out of control. When the dogs' neck is extended or looking up - it can place a lot of stress on the neck and if there are any areas of concern (disc, nerve root), it could compress and aggravate the area. My recommendation is to tug either with the dog level - so you would have to bend down and get on their level, or by placing the tug under your foot and letting them tug up. With it under your foot, their neck is in a flexed position, and this is safer for their structures. They will also be able to get a good work out in on their rear by tugging.

The natural instinct to shake and kill is hard to break in a dog. As long as they don't have a neck problem, and they want to instinctively do it, I let them but I do not encourage it. My cocker spaniel does it every once in a while - continues for about a minute and then chills out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are wonderful things!