Wednesday, September 10, 2014

K9 Conditioning 12 Figure 8s


by Dr Debbie Gross
K9 Conditioning





What is the ideal size/length of a cavaletti course?
How often should we include cavaletti in our exercise program? How many reps?
Should we follow the rule of thumb for the height of the poles? Or should we raise poles?
Is cavaletti working on core? stride? other?
Does the pace make a difference? If so, how?


All great questions.
Ideally - the cavalettis should be 5 or 6 rails.
There are a variety of different reasons to work with them - to work on stride length (reach and drive), body awareness, range of motion. to work on gait, and some core strength.
I use them for a variety of reasons set at different distances.
If I want to work on reach/drive/extension - I will start with a distance longer than the body length. Of course, this will have to be adjusted. The goal is for the dog to reach and extend over the rail as they step over.
If I want to increase body awareness and flexion (bending range of motion), I will set them closer together. Maybe start at their body length and then reduce.
If I want to work on core strength and body awareness, I will set them at different distances, and may even cross them. The dog will have to think about where they are placing their feet and how they use their body.
I never set the height above the level of the hock, and often start lower than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are wonderful things!