Ever since Jan talked about this new behavior, it's been percolating in the back of my mind. I think this is a matter of definition.
Lily and I have been working on CRO behaviors recently. In Rally we were introduced to the Schutzhund turn. When we first were faced with the sign for this turn, we accomplished it with a hand lure. This LEEH behavior is really a turn. In fact, it has a lot in common with the Schutzhund turn. Once Lily understands the new turn, then we have options of the position she is to take: Sit, Stand, Down. The alignment of her body will be a criteria to be addressed at a future point. Right now, the criteria will be the turn: turning 180 into me from a Heel position and remain facing forward while I remain in my original position.
I spent 7 minutes on the behavior, training a handful of treats at a time. I "re-loaded" 3X. With the first handful of treats I lured with food. I used the Tuck cue to return Lily to the starting position. My only criteria is that Lily turn toward me out of a Heel position to face behind me. I am delivering the treats with my left hand but they are held in my right hand behind me.
With the second handful of treats, I dropped the food lure. I added the Place cue because I wanted to keep Lily standing in position facing to the rear. I want to help her to understand that this new position/direction is a rewardable position. It's not the criteria.
I am exaggerating the hand lure. My criteria remains the same - the turn. Lily turns 180 towards me from a forward facing Heel position to face behind me. Even though she is beginning to align her body closer to mine and with her spine aligned with mine (the Heel position criteria), it is not yet the training criteria. It's a bonus ... to be rewarded and encouraged!
I have fewer treats in my hand for this final session. My criteria remains the turn, but was pleased to see that Lily is positioning herself with her spine aligned with mine. My hand lure is smaller and could soon turn into a hand signal. I have dropped the Place cue. Using smaller hand/arm movement to return Lily back into the Heel position makes a nice flow of movement. When my hand "lure" is minimal and when she is reliably performing the turn, I might add a permanent cue. If it were up to me, I would define the completed behavior as the turn with the dog to remain standing in a reversed Heel position. Then, if a Sit or a Down were desired, it could be cued separately.
Spine alignment will be another criteria.
And what is LEEH you ask? Of course. It's Heel backwards. I'm going to call it "Turn Around".
No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments are wonderful things!