Monday, August 25, 2014

K9 Conditioning 4 Question

by Debbie Gross


Q: I probably attend a dozen or more dog events a year that involve road trips away from home, often three or four days in duration. The dogs are crated in the car and also for a considerable time at the events. I con't have room to lug a whole gym with me when I travel, and carrying equipment in and out of a motel room would be a PITA. (Note: "I" do not lack for exercise on these occasions, as pit stops involve walking three dogs individually.) What are basic things that I could and should do with the dogs under these conditions, Debbie? 

A: Great question Judith. The walking is definitely great and that is wonderful for the dogs to keep active that way. If you could travel with a disc and/or paw pods - I think that is great. You can slip in some core work while you are doing stuff. Look at your surroundings and see how you can challenge them. If you see an area with sand - take them for a ten minute walk on the sand to work on their balance and proprioception. If there are some hills, SLOWLY walk each of them up a hill - about 100 feet - to work on their back end. The slow walking up the hill will focus on their hamstrings and their gluteals (yours too!). I would start with 3 to 5 times up and down with each dog. Loading docks are great to walk them on. Look for children's playground sets - sometimes there are balance things - wobbly bridges, or teeters, you can work with them in the morning on. And you can always work on your standing exercises with manual resistance - while they stand - slowly try to move them and push them over. Of course, do not push them over but work on their resisting. While they are standing on the ground, lift the opposite hindlimb and forelimb up about 2 inches off the ground and hold. Hold until they become wobbly and then repeat ten times on each side.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are wonderful things!