Wednesday, August 13, 2014

K9 Conditioning 2

Week 2 questions:
Are we to continue our Week 1 exercises? Sit/Stay 3sets of 5. Back. 10S Stands on the ground?
Walking:
I will be using the GoGo Scooter for Lily's 10 minute walks. Walking pace vs jogging?
Are these walks for exercise, non-stop vs casual sniffing "be a dog" walks?
And does the surface matter? In this hot weather, it's a consideration.
Exercises w/equipment:
Daily? # of reps or 10S holds only?

(Guess you can tell I'm a detail person! <G>)
Last Edit: 5 days 7 hours ago by Lynn Shrove. Reason: type

Lynn and Lily, Blue Weimaraner 5 days 4 hours ago#55574

Getting started with Week 2 Homework. Here is Lily's first attempt on the Bosu ball….for a baseline evaluation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCrCvRa4jPA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSbeSos1kl4

Lynn and Lily, Blue Weimaraner 5 days 12 minutes ago#55628

Hello there - yes, continue with the week 1 exercises. With your scooter, lets try to keep it below a job. These walks are for exercise - so let them do their business and get on a ten minute walk.
And of course, the weather is a concern. If the pavement is too hot, please do the walks early in the morning or late in the day. If you can get on another surface, that would be great.
10 second holds - and try for 5 times.
Great questions - thank you Lynn!

Lynn and Lily, Blue Weimaraner 5 days 11 minutes ago#55629

Great job - with her 'nakedness' you can really see those muscles working. Especially the muscles in the rear and her shoulders. Excellent job!

Lynn and Lily, Blue Weimaraner 4 days 23 hours ago#55653

Thank you. Yes, the muscles are really working! Should I continue these exercises using the Bosu or do you prefer the Paw Pods?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA56Fhd9S8s

How often and how many, please?

We will get out the scooter this afternoon (a cool, overcast day) and try to find a comfortable pace. I'm still searching for a "balance beam" for that exercise! :)

Lynn and Lily, Blue Weimaraner 4 days 5 hours ago#55831

Both are great - I would mix it up. Try to do a few minutes on the hind end and the front end, twice a day.
Great job!

Lynn and Lily, Blue Weimaraner 4 days 5 hours ago#55836

Thanks, Deb. Will do. Along with Back, Sit from Stand (on the ground).

Here is Lily on the Balance Beam. Would it be helpful to see this from different angles? She didn't appear to have any difficulty maintaining the 10S Stand…..but I didn't move her head. Will try that today and see what happens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViJ3uB1vcbM

Here is a brief video of Lily walking beside the scooter. At the beginning she is at what I consider her walking pace. Toward the end I picked up the speed a bit and she began jogging……but……she also almost immediately began lagging. Due to a hand injury, we haven't worked with the GoGo for almost 6 months, so Lily has had NO extended walks for exercise. How do you suggest we begin?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2bxHekqa5I

Lynn and Lily, Blue Weimaraner 3 days 3 hours ago#56132

This morning we did our first walk with the scooter. We walked for four minutes. Lily wore her Freedom harness. I set the camera on a tripod and filmed the walk. I was looking for pace, position, and how the harness impacted her shoulders, if at all. Despite the angle of the camera, the actual walk is uphill going in one direction and downhill in the other and I wanted to see what adjustments would be necessary to keep Lily's pace steady. Once I receive some guidance from you as to pace (and any other suggestions), we will venture off of the street and vary the locations of our walk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C0Po74Ku_8

Lynn and Lily, Blue Weimaraner 3 days 2 hours ago#56140

Great on the board. Since she has not had any extended walks, I would just start at 10 minutes a day if possible for the first week. Try every day, if not, at least 5 times a week. And then incrementally increase her to 12 minutes for a week, 14 or 15 minutes, etc.

Lynn and Lily, Blue Weimaraner 3 days 2 hours ago#56141

I actually think the pace is not worrisome at all - she may be doing it to keep up with the scooter and it is is a nice purposeful walk. Can the scooter go faster?

Lynn and Lily, Blue Weimaraner 3 days 2 hours ago#56150

Yes, the scooter can go up to 4mph. In this mornings walk we were a little less than half speed. When going uphill I had to speed up the scooter in order to maintain Lily's pace but then had to drop it down again on the downhill. And yes, I could go slower as well. I like your description of "a nice purposeful walk". At least until we can build up some stamina at that pace. Thank you for your input.

Does the harness that Lily is wearing look alright in her shoulder area?
Last Edit: 3 days 2 hours ago by Lynn Shrove. Reason: another thought

Lynn and Lily, Blue Weimaraner 2 days 19 hours ago#56250

It does Lynn - great job with your homework!

Lynn and Lily, Blue Weimaraner 4 hours 44 minutes ago#57055

Debbie,

In Week 2 are we continuing the Stand/Stay exercise on the floor? Or on the Bosu ball? Or……half on/half off?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are wonderful things!