Monday, December 9, 2013

Seizure questions

It's 5:36 AM. I am sitting downstairs in the living room with Lily. She had her thyroid medication at 4:10 AM. I fed her at 5:10 AM.  After eating normally she returned her bowl to me and I gave her a treat. We went upstairs and climbed into bed.  Within five minutes Lily jumped off the bed and ran downstairs and stood by the door. She wanted out. So I opened the door and she made a beeline for the backyard.  I followed. I turned on the garden lights. I watched her. She went directly to the bamboo patch and began eating bamboo.  This is what she has done in the past and what she did do prior to her seizure last Wednesday.  I came into the house and got a container of Häagen-Dazs vanilla ice cream. It was one of those little small containers and it was about half-full.  I allowed her to lick the entire container clean.  Now we are downstairs in the family room just waiting to see what happens. She is curled up on the couch on her blankets.

The Häagen-Dazs vanilla ice cream is recommended to be given after a seizure to help the dogs blood sugar level rise to normal level.  Is eating the bamboo a precursor to nausea to be followed by another seizure?  Will the ice cream raise Lily's blood sugar and prevent a seizure?  I have offered her ice cream when she acted stressed or frantic after two meals since last week's seizure. No further seizures so far.  I am remaining downstairs with her so that I can easily access the ice and the other post-ictal treatments in case she does have a seizure.

Sent from my iPad


It is now 6 AM. She is curled up on the couch sleeping. I will remain downstairs. Tomorrow we have an appointment with Lily's vet.

Questions to ask Dr. Ungar:
Is there anyway to test Lily's pancreas? Is it functioning properly? Could Lily be hypoglycemic? Could adjusting Lily's diet positively affect the seizure activity?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are wonderful things!