Thursday, May 10, 2012

Lily's New Vest


Lily has a new vest.

It is a more substantial vest.  With a balance handle placed perpendicular to her spine.  It is heavier, but still not heavy.  The vest is padded; the straps wider.  It buckles on the opposite side.  Changes for us both.



One thing I questioned before the vest arrived was the amount of lateral movement that would be involved.  When using the handle while walking, there is none.  I have not yet used the handle for assistance in rising from a chain and am wondering how I will use Lily....where she will be positioned.

The dynamics of a balance handle are interesting.  I am lifting for balance.  Because of Lily's size, the handle is at hand height when I am standing and walking.  If the optional 8 - 16" handle were attached, I would be pushing for balance.

(Yes, the Service Dog patch arrived sewed on a bit off center.)

Because I have had busy houseguests since the arrival of the vest, I have not taken time yet to experiment with its use or its potential benefits.  I have not used it yet to assist in rising from a chair.  I am finding myself using a shopping cart for balance assist more and more when out in public.  Yesterday, when Lily wore the vest in public for the first time, I pushed a shopping cart, had Lily on my left in her new vest.  In that situation I did not use the handle, except for occasional touch/lift, in a training mode.

Robin Walters and I have been discussing vests recently.  Because of severe back issues, she is re-training Jonathan to work on her right side and finding it slow going.....when Jonathan is in harness.  She uses her 12" bridge handle differently than I will.  Guide dogs pull.  Robin uses a hands free leash and carries a cane.  And Jonathan.  She has been doing this for 30 years.  Now she not only is re-orienting Jonathan.  She is also re-orienting herself.  In comparison, Lily and I will be only making small changes.

Changing the role of the vest will be different for us both.  And I want to do it right from the beginning.  Think it through.  I work Lily on both my left and right sides, but the left is our predominant side.  In introducing and using the balance handle on the new vest, I want both sides to become equally strong.  So I will teach both sides from the beginning.

Jan Greenberg uses this vest with Nad.  Jan has a 12" bridge handle attached.  I have never watched Nad work in this vest, so don't know whether Jan uses it as a pulling harness or if she places a pushing, downward pressure.  I have seen Jan demonstrate the harness handle, but have not watched it used.

Tender Loving Canines uses this vest in their work with both autistic children as well as their adult handlers.  Karen Shultz and I have discussed its various uses in these contexts.  She, too, will be a good resource.

Interesting work ahead, then.  I don't yet know if it's going to be simple or complex.



Padded vest with handle:  Active Dogs.  The detachable bridge handles are described separately.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are wonderful things!