Saturday, June 9, 2012

Reviewing Small Spaces


In our "real life", Lily's and mine, we spend a lot of time waiting.  Much of that time, Lily is navigating small spaces tucked under or beside or under my legs.

Because this summer we are going to Ladder Distractions, I am using training time at home tightening up weak spots.  For Lily that will primarily mean strengthening her tucking into "Side" positions.

Of course, there are public bathrooms of every size and description.  At home, in training, I am willing to ask her to lie down in the small space beside the commode and the wall.  In public restrooms, I have her remain standing.


Need practice on Right Side.  Even though the right side was the same size space as the left side, the left side also had the toilet tissue.  Nevertheless, "Side" was problematic for Lily.



Between my chair and an obstacle, on my Left Side...."Tuck".  Lily responds well to the "Back" cue if I want to tuck her in tighter.  The workhorse Go to Mat behavior ("Go Lie Down") easily directs Lily to crawl under the chair, even one with a white skirt.

Same exercise on my Right Side....."Side".  Again, Lily understands but the right side is definitely her weaker side.  No problem going under the chair from the right side.



Another option I use while Lily and I are waiting is placing her under my feet perpendicular to the chair and under my legs.  This is probably Lily's favorite position.


Depending upon the layout, often I ask Lily to back into my chair space or to back into an empty space to my left or my right.  Here another trainer is reminding Lily that she can do the behavior for someone else!



This is the small corner I use for simulating the small space at my feet for public transportation.  It is slightly smaller than the under seat dimension window seat on most airplanes.  (Website for underseat dimensions depending upon airliner size).  Bus seating varies, but this is close.



On the rare occasions that I eat at my dining room table, Lily lies beneath the table during the meal.





In all instances, I have trained Lily to remain in her position until I cue her to stand.  As I incorporate her mobility assistance bracing more and more that will have to change, but I don't anticipate a problem.




Hula Hoops

Hula Hoops come in two standard sizes.  I used the small hula hoop to show the relative size of each space where Lily makes herself smaller and unobtrusive in public.



The White Chairs



The Corner

(not enough space for the hoop to lie flat)

Under the Dining Room Table



Dog Beds

Lily's favorite dog bed is her puppy bed.  I got it out again when Andre came to visit and Lily greeted it like a long lost friend.  What good training for curling up as small as her 74# and lanky Weimaraner frame will let her get!  Duration in this bed doesn't seem to be a problem for her at all and she often seeks it out.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are wonderful things!