Friday, October 28, 2011

Retrieve/Carry


This video has been trouble.  The first 3 sessions literally disappeared in the transfer from the camera to the computer, which is disappointing because we began with Step 1 Level 3 Retrieve.  I want to use the leash and then the nylon handle of a tote to teach Lily to carry something for me.  We are working on Carry using the plastic dumbell right now, but I wanted to see how she controls her mouth with the soft nylon leash.

The first session was taking the leash, holding the leash, which she was able to accomplish with no mouthing.

Here we begin to move a step or two with the leash in her mouth.  When she walks beside me, she is mouthing the leash.  When I ask her to hold it, she does not "chew" on the leash.  When I have her take a step or two toward me, she holds it relatively quiet in her mouth.


Holding the leash, Lily will Sit and Brace while holding it quietly.  Then I ask for Step    , pick the leash up from the floor and hand it to me.  OK.




This is a small tote.  The plastic dumbell is inside to give just a little weight.  This is different yet again.  The swing of the bag is disconcerting, but Lily holds is still and can even take a step or two.


Now we try walking just a few steps at a time.  Hold the tote and Sit.


Walking 2-3 steps.  Then I take the tote, give a treat, and offer the tote again.






The Flips are good coaches and give me a chance to see where we are and where to begin - back at the beginning using the leash and using the tote.  More to come.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are wonderful things!