Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Drop on Recall



p 249 Steps to Service
COME: Level Six


You call the dog from 20' away and when she's halfway to you, ask her for Down.  The cue should be quiet and relatively discreet.  The cues for this behavior are COME and DOWN.




When Lily was first learning the Come behavior, I taught her to recall to a whistle because I take her to the beach and to the park and didn't want to have to shout in order to recall her.  For the same reason, I have taught her to Stop while coming using a hand signal - my palm raised up into the air.  In training this in the house and in the yard, I use a combination of hand signal and the verbal Down cue to have her Down in place, or Drop on Recall.

In the first Flip Lily is at the patio door in the Family Room and I am standing in front of the windows in the Living Room.  The camera is placed half way between.  Notice that Lily screeches to a stop on signal, but moves to the rug to lie down.  Clever girl!

Then we move outside.   Lily begins at the front gate and I am standing in front of the back gate.  Again, the camera is placed half way between.




When we were first training this behavior, we were close enough that a hand signal wasn't necessary and Lily first learned the Down behavior (as in Come: L6: Steps to Service)



Here are Marge Rogers and Pride practicing Stand, Down and Sit on Recall.  Marge uses the same hand signal for stopping Pride.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are wonderful things!