I'm reading the new book Fired Up, Frantic and Freaked Out by Laura VanArendonk Baugh.
Laura places a focus on Touch and GTM, which falls right in to Lily's plan of reviewing and using the Levels. Andre and Lily are having fun with the GTM game. No cues. Several mats to choose from. And I move them from time to time. CRITERIA: Go to a mat and lie down.
Continuing with Laura's "relax on the mat" (Level 4: Relax) I have placed a mat beside the wing chair in the family room and go there with my iPad several times a day. CRITERIA: Go to the mat beside me and Settle. Chutes and Laddering duration.
Generalizing and threshold in public. Following Wendi's lead, Lily and I returned to Animal Control. Walking with the hands free leash, I am continuing the Touch and GTM exercises mentioned above. The visit/session was approx 50 treats long. CRITERIA: Go to mat. Down on the mat. C/L duration. (not expecting a Settle here yet)
In testing the Levels, I'm incorporating several of Mike Stewart's Gun Dog Training concepts - primarily Steadiness (and Honoring, whenever we are with another dog). Both at home and generalizing on the road. I'm using both Level 1 and Level 2 behaviors: Sit, Down, Focus, Relax, GTM, Target. But when in real public life I cannot control the live distractions and this is where Lily needs practice handling the unexpected.
I took Andre AND Lily to Crown Vet yesterday. But separately. Andre first while Lily remained in the car. Now the vet office - any vet office - is Lily's nemesis. She does not like anything about the vets. She walks in on a loose leash. She goes directly to the scale and sits. And from that point forward, her total focus is getting out of there. Level 4 Relax: Step 1. Dog holds a Lazy Leash in sight of her own worst distraction.
This is the classic conundrum - this a real life visit, not a training session. So it's more a matter of management. No clicker, but a pocketful of treats. And my ability to walk backwards. CRITERIA: Keep the shortened leash loose. I watch the clasp and back up if necessary. DISTRACTIONS: Techs playing active games with a cat in a box in the middle of the lobby. Off leash dog behind the desk but visible through a doggy gate. I kept the leash short. I had to walk backwards.
However. Lily's exam room behavior was exemplary. She stood quietly for exam. Rested her head in my palm for ear exam. Place. I held her head while ear samples were taken. Steady. And......no drool!
Then Andre was returned and, while waiting for Lily's ear results, we played honoring with Level 1 behaviors. Both dogs were In the Game. Both dogs ate the treats. Neither dog was relaxed but they were both able to focus on the game.
One other thing that I have begun incorporating into Lily's life is another Mike Stewart steadiness skill - The Turnoff.....
"A cue that means be quiet, still and settled." In his book Mike describes this as taking the dogs muzzle in his hands and making eye contact. "The turnoff is established by placing your hand under the jaw of the dog, cradling the muzzle in your open palm. Your demeanor and tone should be relaxed as you attempt to establish a calm behavior. Use the turnoff to relax your dog, maintain calm, or settle him after an exciting retrieve. "I have just started using this with Lily when I return home or when I release her from the closed crate, because at these times she "wiggles and giggles" with delight. I've used this with Lily during training sessions; I have been using it at the vets, but why haven't I thought to use it to calm Lily's wiggle and giggle before? The cue is Steady. Once Lily steadies, then we can both enjoy our greeting. CRITERIA: Own the Eyes long enough for Lily to breathe and re-connect with her brain.
Steadiness. Using the Levels. Working on those pesky holes. Enjoying my dog.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments are wonderful things!