Saturday, November 5, 2011

The Elusive RELAX

As a youngster, Lily learned "Roll"...  roll over to your side, keeping your head on the floor.  8 year old Bethany helped to generalize the behavior.



Then came Sue's new book and the CONCEPT of relaxation was introduced.  The behavior LOOKS the same, but is quite different.  An On/Off switch.  And not just momentary - it has Duration.

Initially, in "explaining" the concept to Lily, the visible criteria was that Lily's body was to remain quiet and Wendi used her wagging tail as the guide to a relaxed state.

Lily and Wendi

In Level 3 Relax the dog is tasked to Relax within sight of distractions....  dogs playing.  Well, I don't have playing dogs readily accessible for training, so earlier this week I used Lucy's arrival as the distraction.  While Shayla wiggled and giggled as Lucy arrived, I asked Lily to Relax.  She "assumed the position" and I rewarded using Chutes and Ladders.

This morning I used Shayla eating her breakfast as Lily's Distraction.  This is a HUGE distraction for Lily, who is on a diet right now and who, even in her normal state is ALWAYS hungry.

In the following video, Lily is demonstrating the correct position with quiet tail while Shayla eats 5' away.  Shayla's bowl is ALWAYS a Zen behavior for Lily - off limits.  But I had never asked for Relax before.  She is quiet.  But she is NOT in a relaxed state.



Now Shayla has left her bowl with some remaining kibble and Lily is quite close.  I ask for Relax and then wait.  Lily is SO ready to be released to finish the leftovers that her body is actually quivering in anticipation.  Excellent self control...but definitely not relaxed.

Yet she eventually "assumes the position".  Look closely at her front lower leg.  It is stiff and does not rest on the floor.



In Level 2 Sue writes:  "The cue for this is Settle.  Like all other cues, be very careful that you don't use it until your dog is able to settle!  Otherwise you'll spend the rest of the dog's life chanting settle Settle SETTLE SETTLE DOWN in an increasingly frustrated voice."

Just because MY voice remains quiet and calm doesn't equate to Lily acquiring a relaxed state.

What to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are wonderful things!