Friday, May 13, 2011

Remote Control Shaping

Ah, we haven't done this for a very long time.  Although Lily's persistence and her shaping stamina (history) keep her In the Game, this exercise seemingly goes on forever.

ULTIMATE GOAL:  Interact with the coffee table.

1
  • moving toward the table (altho backwards)
  • turning head toward table
  • don't look at the chair - that's not it
  • a glance at the table AND a turn toward the table




  • Moving toward, glancing at the table


  • Oops!  Not the chair.  Not the stool.


  • Backing up? ? ?


  • Turning my head? ? ?






  • Turn my head?


  • Back up?


  • Turn my body?


  • Still In the Game.


  • Still trying.


  • But still not a clue.


  • Aha!  A couple of steps forward in the right direction ! ! !


  • ....... and then a turn ! ! !






  • I move to a different chair.  will that help?


  • Backwards steps, closer to the table


  • Head turns toward table


  • My timing gets bad here


  • I reward backward movement again


  • Turning head


  • Then turning head AND shoulders


  • Re-load


  • And keep going


  • Still In the Game and still trying.......but still hasn't a clue







  • Oops!  I missed a good head turn


  • Finally a slight turn to her right







  • Walk backwards?


  • Sit?


  • WHAT?


  • The piano bench?


  • Maybe tossing a couple of treats will give her an idea


  • Even tho I know she's looking for treats, I missed several opportunities to click


  • Re-load


  • Well, treat tossing didn't help Lily's understanding


  • Sit?


  • Are you sure it isn't the piano bench?


  • Still In the Game


  • Still guessing






  • Definite turn to her right


  • But.....it was just a guess


  • Cute.  She thinks about sitting again and then thinks better of it


  • And then tries it anyway


  • Tossing the treat again


  • So many opportunities to click her ... that I ignored






  • Another tossed treat


  • A treat behind the rocking chair


  • I should have been clicking like crazy


  • Aha!


  • A pattern is developing: back up, turn toward piano bench, turn toward table


  • Then a turn to the left, go around, click when she reaches the table


  • Finally!


  • A breakthrough


  • Then, while I re-load, she loses her train of thought again






  • Thinking.......thinking.......trying


  • Oops again!  I missed another great opportunity


  • Then she starts walking toward the table


  • I have to re-load at a crucial time


  • Click for walking toward the table


  • Now I'm telling her it's THE TABLE, not just walking toward it


  • For a while she thinks it's: walk toward the table, turn in a circle and then return to the table


  • Here I raise my criteria too quickly and miss lots of opportunities to reinforce good work on Lily's part






  • OK.  Here I am.


  • Piano bench?


  • Table?


  • Oh ... table ! ! !


  • Now ... interaction with the table of any kind


  • Go around the table is OK, too


  • But touching the book is better


  • After re-loading


  • Lily hits the jackpot!


  • At last.







  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Comments are wonderful things!