Sunday, April 18, 2010

TARGET: Level 2: Adding the Cue


I began teaching Lily to put her front paws on the green chair. First, by working Touch (no cue) around the chair. Then luring her up onto the chair w/my touch hand. Then adding distance. I have to be precise and quick with my click here to prevent Lily from adding a third and then a fourth paw on the chair, as you can see.

Session 1



Then we move to the counter and re-teach from the beginning. You will see Lily volunteering Duration, because that is what we are presently working on. For the sake of the demonstration, I am trying to only go for distance and to demonstrate Lily VOLUNTEERING the behavior on her own. No cue.

Session 2


On to a third location and a third object. Re-teaching from scratch again. Letting her VOLUNTEER the behavior. "Reminding her" with my Target hand only when she needs help.
Getting closer when she needs more explanation. Still no cue. (Moving this fast for the sake of demonstration only).

Session 3


Now we move outside. Coming down from the planter, Lily dislodges a fence that was placed over some new flowers and that distracts her. Re-teach from the beginning AGAIN. Add distance, etc. Same ol'. Same ol'. Still no cue.

"Never pass an opportunity to shut up."
Cowboy Bill

By now, it is SO DIFFICULT to not add the cue!!!!



Next we move to the wall. Here I add the cue....for the sake of the demo ONLY. Because we have Distance AND some Duration (Step 22). However, I also have scratching on the wall. I DO NOT WANT that in the final behavior, so in our REAL training, I will not add the cue until I have the behavior EXACTLY THE WAY I WANT IT........paws steady on the vertical surface AND some Duration.

Session 5


So....in real life training, Lily is still not ready for me to add the cue. (Steps 22,23)

Session 6

1 comment:

  1. Great examples for all to learn from. Your timing in the very first clip is a WONDERFUL example of you get what you click. Early on and then a bit later, Lily thinks she will put three feet on the chair, but your click is so well times that she stops that movement in midair and only places her front two paws on the chair ... very well done!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are wonderful things!